The vicious fire incident occurred in Male’ on Last Friday burnt down a lot of houses and left many citizens homeless. According to Disaster management authority, the government is giving 20 percent for the reparation of the destruction due to the fire.
Death of one person and approximately four-hundred people including, infants, seniors have lost their homes due to the fire which was started in a chemical storage room at H.Thilafushige. Moreover, four warehouses and six buildings were also affected by the blaze. 300 victims from 52 homes are currently at temporary shelters.
Deputy chief executive officer, Umar Fikury said that the government always provides 20% of financial aid for the victims due natural disasters and accidents as such, therefore they will provide 20 percent, this time as well. “We will assess the damages caused by the fire incident and will give 20% accordingly. The government provided the same percentage of the financial aid for the people who were in need of the aid in the last year December for the damages caused by rain.” He also said that the victims of the fire will receive financial aid from the government also from other private organisations and people as well.
People’s homes, properties,offices and their belongings have burnt into ashes and they are currently staying at temporary shelters provided by the government. Even though 28th of September, Saturday was said to be the deadline to stay at the shelter, Umar said that the victim can stay until they find proper shelter. The victims seems to be very concerned about the government’s decision.
One of the victims tweeted and expressed his feelings about the incident. he said that everything they had and achieved had become ashes and that the parties whom should be concerned does not seem sympathized.
Many of the citizens provided charity and gifts to the victims and showed their love and support on the night that the incident occurred.